TV Vet Marc Abraham has 10 tips for avoiding ticks for you and your pet
- Out walking, wear suitable clothing: wearing shorts in tick habitat is an invitation to be bitten!
- Insect repellents can be sprayed on to clothing, but always follow the manufacturers guidelines.
- Carry a tick removal tool and antiseptic wipes.
- Walk in the centre of paths and avoid over-hanging vegetation at the edge of paths where ticks may be waiting.
- Have a ‘tick buddy’ to help you check your body and be your dog’s ‘tick buddy’.
- Deter ticks from gardens: keep leaf litter to a minimum, grass short, vegetation cut back, and seating and play equipment away from borders, trees and bird feeders.
- Keep pets tick free using tick-control products.
- Treat pet accessories with repellents too.
- Groom pets thoroughly: make sure you brush against, as well as with, the hair growth to see any embedded ticks. Check inside the ears, around the eyes, on the chin and around the muzzle, as well as between pads and toes.
- Don’t bring ticks home: take off outer clothes before going indoors. Tests have demonstrated that ticks can survive a full cycle in the washing machine and short periods in a dryer.
For more information about ticks please read more here: https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/health/for-owners/ticks/
Marc Abraham is a vet based in Brighton. He regularly appears on UK television. For more information about Marc please visitwww.marcthevet.com.